Monday, March 4, 2013

Week 9: Drumroll...

A few weeks ago, I mentioned studying for my RD exam. On Saturday of week 9, I took it. Obviously, the only goal I had for the entire week was to study, study, study and then kick that exam's butt. I answered about 1300 practice exam questions, listened to many hours of lectures, and read way more information than I could possibly retain. I still didn't really feel ready for the exam when it rolled around, but I knew I just had to bite the bullet, show up, and do my best.

I arrived at the testing center early and got to have a nice little chat with M before walking through the doors. While I was waiting for my name to be called, I made the acquaintance of a lady from North Carolina who was taking the DTR exam, so we had a lot to talk about! I had foolishly worn a Carolina T-shirt and a Duke sweatshirt to the testing center. My thought process was that no one in Arizona would care enough to judge me for my traitorous behavior. Boy, was I wrong! Live and learn. :)

After the exam, I spent a tremendously stressful 5 minutes trying to see my score, which the lady at the testing center had said would show up on my screen after the test. It didn't, so I logged out of the system, logged back in, and saw the message, "Test has been interrupted. Please see proctor." That elicited a higher than normal heart rate and a mild state of panic. Eventually, we got it all figured out and my score popped up on the test center computer screen. I passed!!!

This is how I felt when I saw my score:

Photo via

In fact, it's still exciting every time I think about it, and I'm a little surprised each time - it's really over! I really passed! And now, I can really get on with living my life and working hard at my job!

To celebrate the good news, I hopped in the car and headed to Anaheim, California to see one of my very favorite artists play a show at House of Blues. I have wanted to see Ryan Bingham live for... I don't even know how many years. This was the perfect way to celebrate being an RD. He put on a fantastic show that was well worth the 6 hour drive. His opening band, Honey Honey, was pretty great, too! I'll leave you with a song from each of them.


This was my favorite of Honey Honey's songs.

And here's a classic from Bingham, which he performed beautifully on Saturday:


1 comment: